Monday, August 14, 2006

fossa!

I was just doing a little research for children's story that I've been working on recently. It's about lemurs, and I needed to do a bit of reading up on Fossa (pronouced Foosa), Madagascar's largest predator and the only thing that a lemur fears.
I was just going to keep my reading to myself, but look at it - second only to lemurs themselves, it's the coolest animal in the world. So cute, and yet so deadly! It's so sneaky that until 1996 scientists thought it was nocturnal, but it's not, it's just the ninja of the cat family. It can run up trees, leap from branch to branch and take a lemur down in mid-air.
(If you had your big toes on the outside of your feet instead of the inside, you'd be able to run up trees too.)

fossa 1

fossa 3

Anyway, I stole these rather fine photos from here and there's a nice little article here if you're bored.

Blogged with Flock

No comments: